Etching - B (4-weeks)
$315, includes materials
Mondays, 6:30pm - 9:30pm
November 8 - November 29
Instructor: Flora Shum
Participants will work with copper plates and acid-resistant grounds to create a range of images, textures and lines. A range of materials will be explored and students will come away with skills to create an edition of hand-printed etchings.
Suitable for all levels, no prior experience is needed.
About the Print Instructor
Flora Shum is a Hong Kong born-Toronto based artist, educator, and cultural worker. She has a BFA in Printmaking from OCAD University. She is the Co-Director of Paperhouse Studio and Paperhouse Outreach Collective, where she carries forward the vision for paper as the medium, and leads community arts-based programming for underserved youth. She is a collective member of Kinngarni Katujjiqatigiit and AURA collective. Her artistic practice is experimental and collaborative by nature, with roots in papermaking, printmaking, and bookbinding, extending to found objects, sculpture, and installation. Her art utilizes these mediums to communicate and explore culture and heritage, alternative histories, personal/collective narratives, multiples, mass-production, cyborgs, and the nuances of racial microaggressions. Flora's artistic practice explores community activation and mobilization through the arts, bridging community and contemporary arts.
Flora has facilitation experience at OCAD University, Harbourfront Centre, Toronto Public Library, Central Technical School (TDSB). She has exhibited internationally and locally—George Gilmore Gallery, Open Studio (Toronto, ON.), Manhattan Graphics Center (New York, N.Y), Hong Kong Visual Arts Centre (Hong Kong), "Art of the Book 2018-2021'' National touring show, "Atigiit, Silapaat" as Kinngarni Katujjiqatigiit at Attagoyuk Ilisavik (Pangnirtung, NU.), Kenojuak Cultural Centre (Kinngait, NU.), and the British Museum (London, UK.), and Run Gallery as AURA Collective (Toronto, ON.)
Images in order courtesy the artists' website:
1) Open Studio's etching/intaglio area
2) Flora Shum, RLPA2011THFCNCPT1, 2011, etching—toner wash, crackle ground, line, and photo-etching, edition of 7, 22 x 30”
2) Flora Shum, letterpress photopolymer print on handmade cotton paper created with 3D printed watermark mould, letterpress photopolymer, 2017, edition of 25, 11 x 14”
2) Flora Shum, screen-printing on handmade cotton paper created with 3D printed watermark mould, handmade box with screen-printed bookcloth, edition of 8 different watermarked papers per box, 8 x 10”
4) Flora Shum, RLPA2011THFRAW, Photo-polymer etching on handmade abaca and flax paper, varied sizes, varied edition, 2011.